The Royal Montreal Golf Club is the oldest golf club in North America, founded in 1873. In that year, a small group of eight men sat in a dockside office and formed the Montreal Golf Club. Eleven years later, in 1884, permission was granted by Queen Victoria to use the "Royal" prefix.
The first golf course was a 9-hole layout on Fletcher’s Field, part of Mount Royal Park, which was shared by the red-coated golfers and other citizens relaxing in what was then the outskirts of Montreal.
In 1896, the club moved to Dixie, in the parish of Dorval, where it remained until the pressures of urban growth again dictated a decision to move. The clubhouse at Dixie is now the
Queen of Angels Academy for Girls.
The last move was to Ile Bizard in 1959, where 45 holes were constructed. The Blue Course continues to be ranked as one of the "100 Greatest Courses in the World".
More information about the Royal Montreal Golf Club and the President’s Cup 2007